James Corden. Pharrell Williams. Tim Cook. Yes, it’s Carpool Karaoke! Oh wait, no, it isn’t. It was yesterday’s Apple Keynote Event. Before we get into this article, I’ll say this much to Apple fanboys: the company made it worth the wait this year.
iPhone 7 and 7 Plus
So let’s start with the biggest news of the night. Apple today introduced iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus packed with some of its all-new features. The new iPhones come with new camera systems, more power, a longer battery life, stereo speakers, two new colours, and for the first time are IP67 water- and dust-resistant. Storage has now been doubled to 32GB, 128GB and 256GB. The iPhone 7 and 7 Plus will be available in the UAE from September 16.
Specs to be noted:
- Size: The iPhone 7 and 7 Plus are the same size as the iPhone 6S and 6S Plus respectively.
- Screen: The display is said to be 25% brighter than that of its predecessors.
- Processor: The all-new A10 Fusion is powering these phones and is said to be 40% faster than the A9 chipsets.
- Rear Cam: While the iPhone 7 gets a 12-megapixel camera and adds a larger aperture with optical image stabilization that keeps images steadier. The iPhone 7 Plus gets a second, 56mm telephoto lens on the back that works like a built-in zoom feature.
- Front Cam: The front camera on both iPhones gets bumped up to a 7MP camera with auto image stabilisaton.
- Storage: Storage gets doubled overall and now starts at 32GB, moving on to 128 as well as 256GB models.
- Audio: While the 3.5mm has been laid to rest, you get EarPods in the box as well as a lightning to 3.5mm converter. Both phones now have stereo sound with top and bottom speakers.
- Battery life: As always, Apple didn’t mention the exact size of the battery but says the devices last 2 hours longer than the current models when it comes to LTE browsing.
- Water resistance: IP67 rating on both devices means a drop in water or usage in the rain as well as a Dubai dust storm won’t really affect the device.
- Colours: Finally, we say goodbye to the space grey option and welcome two new colours; black (sort of matte) and jet black (glossy). Silver, gold and rose gold remain as they are.
The iPhone 7 will start at Dh2,599 and the 7 Plus will start at Dh3,099.
Apple Watch Series 2
The Apple Watch Series 2 is the second generation of the hugely successful Apple Watch. Its new features include a water resistance 50 metre rating for swimming and built-in GPS so users can now run without an iPhone. Apple Watch Series 2 also features a brighter display and a dual-core processor. It runs watchOS 3, which allows acces to a variety of third-party apps, notifications access and even Pokémon Go. The watch will be available for Dh1,099 in the UAE beginning Friday, September 16.
Thanks to the fact that the iPhones no more have a 3.5 mm headphone jack, you can now use the EarPods, which will come provided in the box or you can go wireless with the all-new AirPods. The Airpods are basically its EarPods without the cables. You have all the functionality such as making phone calls, listening to audio, watching shows and movies, and interacting with Siri. It also has its own Apple W1 Chip, which enables high-quality audio on the device. The AirPods will be available for Dh649, somewhere around October.