AI or artificial intelligence is all the rage in the smartphone business right now and where better to showcase your best and smartest than at the MWC at Barcelona. LG has decided to debut its first mobile device with in-house AI technology, the LG V30S integrated with ThinQ. The LG V30S builds on the exisiting V30 and adds the AI aspect into the most commonly used features that are mostly aligned to the needs of the consumer.
What is ThinQ?
ThinQ was introduced at CES 2018 by LG as the artificial intelligence solution that would be utilised by the brand’s home appliances, consumer electronics and services. The company started making differentiated and intuitive AI-based solutions for the most commonly used smartphones features such as the camera and voice recognition more than a year ago. The results are Vision AI and Voice AI.
Vision AI and Voice AI
Vision AI comprises three new intelligent camera features: AI CAM, QLens and Bright Mode, which helps automate and enhance the image-capturing experience. AI CAM analyses subjects in the frame and offers various shooting modes to find the right fit: portrait, food, pet, landscape, city, flower, sunrise and sunset. QLens takes further advantage of the image recognition capabilities to scan QR codes for better online shopping experiences. Last but not the least, low-light photography gets a huge boost with Bright Mode thanks to the AI using algorithms to brighten images and reduce image noise.
Voice AI that allows users to run apps and change settings on the LG V30S through voice commands alone. It works with Google Assistant and eliminates the need to search through menu options.
The LG V30S
Building on the original V30 platform, the V30S upgrades to 6GB of RAM, 128GB of storage in the LG V30S ThinQ and 256GB of storage in the LG V30S+ ThinQ, while allowing for expandable storage of up to 2TB, just in case.
The new phone is still the thinnest and lightest among smartphones with 6-inch plus displays. The moroccan blue and platinum grey colours have been updated. Both devices feature a lenticular finish on the back that displays different hues under certain lighting conditions.
Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 mobile platform
- Display: 6.0-inch 18:9 QuadHD + OLED FullVision Display (2880 x 1440 / 538ppi)
- V30S ThinQ: 6GB RAM / 128GB ROM / microSD (up to 2TB)
- V30S+ ThinQ: 6GB RAM / 256GB ROM / microSD (up to 2TB)
- Rear Dual: 16MP Standard Angle (F1.6 / 71°) / 13MP Wide Angle (F1.9 / 120°)
- Front: 5MP Wide Angle (F2.2 / 90°)
- AI: AI CAM / QLens / Bright Mode / AI Haptic / Google Assistant
- Battery: 3300mAh
- Operating System: Android 8.0 Oreo
- Size: 151.7 x 75.4 x 7.3mm
- Weight: 158g
- Network: LTE-A 4 Band CA
- Connectivity Wi-Fi 802.11 a, b, g, n, ac / Bluetooth 5.0 BLE / NFC / USB Type-C 2.0 (3.1 compatible)
- Colours: moroccan blue, platinum grey
- Others: IP68 Water and Dust Resistant / MIL-STD 810G Compliant / 32-bit Hi-Fi Quad DAC / HDR10 / Crystal Clear Lens / Google Daydream / UX 6.0+ / Voice Recognition / Face Recognition / Fingerprint Sensor / Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 Technology / Wireless Charging