After a horrible year gone by for Samsung, the South Korean tech giant’s Mobile Chief DJ Koh came on stage and unveiled the most expected phone of the year (until now): the Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus.
Here are the specifications of the Samsung S8 and S8 Plus.
Samsung S8 and S8 Plus: Specifications
- Cameras: The Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ are equipped with an advanced 8MP f/1.7 smart autofocus front camera and 12MP f/1.7 Dual Pixel rear camera for enhanced low-light, zoom and anti-blur photography with enhanced image processing. The cameras will come with multi-frame processing for better images.
- Performance: Both devices feature the industry’s first 10nm chip, enabling heightened speed and efficiency. The device will be powered by Qualcomm’s flagship Snapdragon 835 and Samsung’s own Exynos 8895 (this varies by market).
- Battery: The Galaxy S8 will come with a 3,000mAh battery while the larger S8+ will come with a 3,500mAh.
- Display: The Galaxy S8 and S8+ come with 5.8- and 6.2-inch QHD “Infinity” displays. The screens are the world’s first mobile device certified by the UHD Alliance as Mobile HDR Premium. They also support Samsung’s Always-on display.
- Bixby: Samsung’s Bixby is the company’s AI assistant. It’s similar to Google Assistant but with enhancements specifically for the S8 and S8 Plus. The Assistant has contextual understanding and can do image searches, among other things.
- Mobile Security: Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ are built on Samsung Knox, a defense-grade security platform. In addition, both devices will offer a selection of biometric authentication via fingerprint and iris scanning.
- IP68 water and dust resistance: Both devices will come with complete IP68 water and dust resistance.
- Storage: The S8 and S8+ offer microSD support up to 256GB
- Fast and wireless charging capabilities
- All Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus devices will come with AKG earphones worth $99 (Dh364).
- Pricing and Availability: Availability from April 21. Pre-orders start from April 1.
Samsung Gear 360 2017
Samsung also updated its Gear 360 with a new shape.
Specifications are as follows:
- The camera has two CMOS 8.4MP f/2.2 lenses (Default output pixel count equivalent to 15MP).
- Images can be shot up to 15MP on both cameras and 3MP (Huh?) on a single lens.
- Video is at 4K at 24fps and 1080p up to 60fps.
- The battery is at 1,160mAh and gives up to 130 mins (2,560 x 1,280 at 30fps).
- Compatible with iOS and Android.
- A microSD slot can hold cards up to 256GB.
- USB Type-C charging.
This was by far the coolest announcement at the Samsung Unpacked event. Samsung Dex is a docking system that expands the S8’s working potential to a desktop experience. You can use the Dex to connect with a monitor, mouse and keyboard, enabling you to use your smartphone like a PC. The Android on the S8 and S8 plus has been optimised to allow mobile apps, including Office, to run in a PC format.
What do you think of this year’s Samsung Unpacked event? Are you as excited as us for these products? Let us know below.