The HTC U11 was a sensational device, but it wasn’t perfect. In its pursuit to enhance the U11 experience, HTC today launches the U11+.
HTC U11+: Specs
- SIZE: 158.5 x 74.9 x 8.5mm
- WEIGHT: 188g
- DISPLAY: 6-inch, WQ HD+ (2880 x 1440) Super LCD 5, Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- SPLASH- AND DUST-PROOF (IP LEVEL): IP68
- PROCESSOR: Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 Mobile Platform, 64-bit octa-core, up to 2.45GHz
- MEMORY: 6GB RAM / 128GB storage (microSD expansion supports additional memory cards up to 2TB with Flex Storage)
- MAIN CAMERA: 12MP f/1.7 (HTC UltraPixel 3 with 1.4µm pixels), OIS, Ultraspeed Autofocus, 4K video, 3D Audio
- FRONT CAMERA: 8MP with 85-degree field of view f/2.0
- PLATFORM: Android 8.0 Oreo with HTC Sense
- BATTERY: 3,930mAh (Quick Charge 3.0)
HTC U11+: What’s new?
As mentioned previously, the U11 was brilliant but it wasn’t perfect. I didn’t like the relatively tiny 3,000mAh battery or the fact that it didn’t have a 18:9 display.
Well the U11+ takes care of all of that. A larger 18:9 display, giant 3,930mAh battery and a really cool new translucent look! I cannot wait to get my hands on the device.
Other improvements include a better camera system with a 90 DxOMark score, 30 per cent better sounds quality than the U11 and a much-improved Edge Sense.
HTC U11+ – The Pixel 2 XL we were waiting for?
Well the similarities are pretty obvious and as the Verge has revealed, this is now a fact.
For those who don’t closely follow the Android rumour mill, in the pre-production Pixel 2 Xl days, Google dropped a device codenamed ‘muskie’ for another named ‘taimen’. ‘Taimen’ we later found out was the LG-made Google Pixel 2 XL.
While this is not the exact device that Google rejected, at its core it is pretty much the same phone. The display on the HTC U11+ is the same 6″ size (with a 18:9 aspect ratio and a 2880 x 1440 resolution) as the LG-made Google Pixel 2 XL but the latter is OLED and the former is LCD. Looking back now, maybe Google should have stuck with the LCD.
With a clean OS, a good camera, a giant battery and a neat redesign the HTC U11+ might be a great contender if you’re in the market for a new smartphone.
HTC U11+: Pricing and Availability
The HTC U11+ will be available in Translucent Black, Ceramic Black and Amazing Silver in mid-December in select markets across the Middle East including the UAE, Saudi Arabia and Kuwait.
Local pricing is yet unknown but the global price is set at €799 (about Dh3,418).