Apple today quietly announced updates to its iPad line. Firstly, we get to finally see a new iPad mini. Secondly, we get to see a new 10.5-inch iPad Air. Starting at Dh1,599 for the iPad mini and Dh1,999 for the new iPad Air, can these new devices be an affordable mode for Apple to get people glued on their rumoured video streaming service due to launch at the end of the month?
“Today the iPad family takes two big leaps forward with an all-new 10.5-inch iPad Air that brings high-end size, features and performance at a breakthrough price, and a major upgrade to the 7.9-inch iPad mini, which also brings Apple Pencil, Retina display and the A12 Bionic chip to the many customers that love its compact size.”Phil Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing.
iPad Air and mini 2019: Specs
- Chispset: Both the new iPads come powered with the Apple A12 Bionic chipset.
- Display: The iPad Air get the middle sized display at 10.5 inches (2224×1668) compared to its 9.7- and 11-inch siblings but unfortunately the mini keeps keeps its 7.9-inch display but it is 25 per cent brighter, features a wider range of colours and works with True Tone.
- Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard: Both devices are compatible with the first generation Apple Pencil. The 10.5-inch iPad Air is now also compatible with the Apple Smart Keyboard.
- Storage: Both iPads offer 64GB and 256GB variants
- Touch ID: Both devices will use the old Touch ID sensors and won’t come with facial recognition
- Colours: Space Gray, Silver and Gold
- Wi-Fi: Both devices come with a Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi + Cellular model.
iPad Air and mini: Worth the money?
Both devices come in at budget pricing and seem to have the potential to handle almost anything most general users would throw their way.
The iPad line with its 1.3 million apps has proven itself to be one of the best (or maybe even THE best) options for people looking for a tablet. The 10.5-inch iPad Air and iPad mini now fill in the gaps and gives Apple “the best, most innovative iPad line-up ever“.
Would you consider getting any of the new iPads? Let us know in the comments below.