After much breathless anticipation, Apple CEO Tim Cook and his team announced a game-changing phone (OK, almost!) from the technology giant. If you missed our live blog during the #AppleEvent, Here’s what you need to know about the iPhone X, which is available in silver and space grey.
1. Price and Availability The iPhone X will start at Dh4099 here in the UAE for the 64GB version and Dh4,729 if you prefer 256GB.
Orders for the new iPhone will start on October 27 at 11.01am in more than 55 countries and territories including the UAE, with the device available in stores from November 4, right in time to get on Christmas shopping lists!
2. Home button Yes, it’s gone. Tapping the screen wakes the phone up, as does shaking it. Simply swiping up from the bottom lets you (and presumably E.T.) go home from anywhere.
3. Design The iPhone X has a front and back made of glass and a stainless steel band. The glass follows the curve of the device — and thanks to a seven-layer colour process, hues and opacity are beautifully reflected. So it’s durable as well as dust and water resistant.
4. Display The new 5.8-inch Super Retina display uses an OLED display made by Samsung. Apart from a small trapezoid at the top that houses the selfie camera and Face ID sensors, the display is all screen. The HDR display supports Dolby Vision and HDR10, while added True Tone finally automatically adjusts the white balance to create a paper-like viewing experience. So Apple says.
5. Security Forget about passwords or fingerprints — the iPhone X is unlocked by Face ID. The technology relies on infrared cameras and neural network technology to map your face with 30,000 dots. As we said on Twitter, they’re invisible ones thankfully. And no, it won’t be sent to the cloud — all processing is handled on the device itself. Another cool Face ID feature is that it will only unlock your iPhone X when your eyes are open and looking at it. It works in the dark, too.
6. More security Face ID also works with Apple Pay and the new ARKit, so developers can create crazy new games and apps. Apple wants you to believe facial identification is the future.
7. Cameras The two cameras have been completely reinvented. A 7MP front cam has TrueDepth to enable Face ID, as well as auto image stabilisation, precise exposure control and Portrait mode. At the back, the iPhone X has a dual 12MP system with dual optical image stabilisation, an ƒ/1.8 aperture on the wide-angle camera that joins an improved ƒ/2.4 aperture on the telephoto lens, a new colour filter, and an improved image signal processor. Plus, a new quad LED True Tone Flash makes for better uniformity of light across the photo.
8. More Cameras This one deserves a point all its own: the TrueDepth camera brings an emoji to life by animating 50 different facial muscles in 3D emojis including the panda, unicorn, robot and poop, so you can record and send Animoji messages with your own voice. Animoji comes pre-installed as an iMessage app.
9. Charging The new AirPower charging mat can power up multiple devices at once: iPhone X, iPhone 8, Apple Watch and the optional AirPods case at once — except it isn’t here yet! For the moment, all Qi-certified devices will support the iPhone.
10. Performance The new phone is built around an A11 Bionic CPU, which Apple says is the smartest and most powerful chip ever in a smartphone. With a six-core CPU design, it delivers up to 70 per cent greater performance than the A10 for multi-threaded workloads. The iPhone X’s battery lasts a claimed two hours longer than the iPhone 7. Yep, we saved the best for last.