Last week Snapchat announced that you can now create groups of up to 16 people to share your snaps with. It’s similar to the one-to-one format, with chats on the groups disappearing in 24 hours by default.
Snapchat group features
- When making your new chat or sending a snap you can see a “Create Group” button. Pick a few friends, et voila! Your new group is created.
- To know if you are part of a group chat, look for the sparkle/friend emoji next to the group name.
- Settings can be accessed by clicking on the menu button on the left side. You can use these settings to see who is in the group, add people or leave the group. If you decide to leave the group, all your snaps and chats get deleted automatically, even if they have been saved by others.
- There’s a line above the keyboard that shows the group members’ names. When they come online, their name is assigned a colour.
- To know who has read the chat, you can tap or hold any message.
- All snaps can be reopened by a member once in a 24-hour time span.
- Quick chat with a friend by clicking on their name above the keyboard.
We’re loving this latest update on Snapchat. Have you used the group features yet? Let us know what you think.
Here’s the official announcement from Snap:
The holidays are a great time to hang out with friends and spend time with family – it’s always better together! We couldn’t think of a better time to announce Groups, a new way to communicate with up to 16 friends on Snapchat.
Groups can be created while sending a Snap, or when you’re making a new Chat. When your friends are present in a Group Chat, we show their name at the bottom of the Chat. Simply tap their name to start a 1:1 Chat, and then easily return to the Group in one swipe! We call this Quick Chat, and it’s the fastest way to keep the conversation going with one friend without spamming the entire Group.
Chats sent to a Group are deleted by default after 24 hours. Snaps sent to a Group can be opened and replayed just once by each recipient. If a Snap isn’t opened, it’s deleted after 24 hours, just like Chats.
We’ve also introduced two new Creative Tools – Scissors and Paintbrush. Use Scissors to cut out part of a Snap on the Preview Screen to turn it into a sticker! The Paintbrush can be applied to Snaps in Memories, and turns a Snap into an artistic masterpiece!
We’re so grateful for your support. Thank you for another terrific year – we love building products for all of you! Wishing you a wonderful 2017.