No, it’s not the Samsung Note7. Or the Samsung S7 Edge, as earlier claimed, though the one that has gone up in smoke is part of the Galaxy range. This time it was the Samsung Galaxy J5 smartphone, as reported by the Associated Press in Pau, France.
The affected owner was a French woman, Lamya Bouyirdane, who claimed that she had noticed her phone felt very hot when she asked her young son to pass it to her.
“I panicked when I saw the smoke and I had the reflex to throw it away,” said Bouyirdane, She explained that her phone had started to swell up and let out smoke, before catching fire with the back of the phone blowing off. It was quickly extinguished by her partner.
She has said that she will sue Samsung.
“We are unable to comment on this specific incident until we obtain and thoroughly examine the device,” Samsung said in a statement to CNET. “Customer safety remains our highest priority and we want to work with any customer who has experienced an issue with a Samsung product in order to investigate the matter and support them. The issues with the Galaxy Note7 are isolated to only that model.”
Let’s hope Samsung douses all the fire soon so that it can get back to making regular smartphones again.