It was a momentous occasion for HTC today. Not only was its 2017 flagship launched but the company also marks 20 years in the industry. HTC is a company that has created some historic products in the past and wanted to keep that innovation alive with its latest device too. With the HTC U 11, the Taiwanese brand aims to maintain this tradition.
HTC U 11: The Name
While a lot of people were assuming the smartphone code-named Ocean would be called HTC U or HTC 11, the company seems to have married both considering the device succeeds the HTC 10 and HTC Ultra and is part of the brand’s latest “made for U” campaign.
HTC U 11: Specs
But what’s in a name? It’s the specifications we all care about. So let’s jump right in shall we?
- Display 5.5-inch QHD display with a 1,440 x 2,560 pixel resolution
- Processor Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 processor with Adreno 540 GPU
- Storage 4/6GB of RAM and 64/128GB of internal memory, expandable to 2TB via micro-SD
- OS Android 7.1 Nougat with the HTC Sense 9 UI
- Rear camera 12MP Ultra Pixel 3 camera with an IMX362 sensor, f/1.7 aperture, dual-tone LED flash, OIS, EIS and 4K video recording
- Front camera 16MP Ultra-pixel camera with an IMX351 sensor, f/2.0 aperture
- Battery and charging 3,000mAh with fast charging and USB Type-C
- Certifications IP67 water- and dust-proofing
- Connectivity 4G LTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/c, Bluetooth 4.2, NFC, GPS with GLONASS
HTC U 11: Squeeze
The star of the show was the HTC U 11’s innovative new feature, Squeeze.
The concept behind Squeeze is very simple. HTC wanted to add functionality to the device that would feel natural to the user.
Squeeze works exactly as it sounds. There are sensors on the sides of the phone (on the bottom half) that detect a squeeze, which triggers a set function. There are two types of squeezes, short and long. For example, a short squeeze when the display is off could quick-launch Google Assistant, while a long squeeze could switch on the camera and a short squeeze could click a picture.
HTC claims that external apps will be given the capability to integrate the Squeeze function into their apps, which could be great for applications such as Snapchat and Instagram or even for games.
HTC U 11: Assistants
Another very cool feature of the U 11 is that it’s the first device to come with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa baked in. Why is this a fun feature? Because both can run at the same time.
HTC U 11: Pricing and Availability
The device is going to be available in the Middle East around the first week of June. It will launch in five appealing colours: Amazing Silver, Sapphire Blue, Brilliant Black, Solar Red and Ice White.